Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Best Dishes Y'all

Being a southern girl, I have grown up with all of the aromas and tastes that come with good ole fashioned Country Cooking: Biscuits and Gravy, Grits, Pulled Pork... YUM!!! If anyone deserved the title for this cuisine, Paula Deen would be crowned the Queen of Comfort Food.

My Paula Deen obsession began while one day aimlessly flipping through TV channels at college on a cold winter day. At little homesick, I wanted nothing more than my Grandma Ann's homemade baked potato soup. I finally get to the Food Network and, low-and-behold, Paula was making a baked potato soup looking just like Grandma's. 

From that point on, I've watched her show nearly everyday, practically drooling over all the southern cooking. I began cooking and baking all sorts of comfort food during my free time. My friends really appreciated finally some home cooked meals, you don't get that too often on a college student's budget and schedule. 

I have taken this summer as an opportunity to find new recipes (both family and borrowed), as well as cookbooks to gather up plenty of new dishes to make for my friends when we get back to school. They are constantly letting me know how excited they are for me to get back to Tallahassee. Some have even made "reservations" for me to cook for them. I'm very flattered.

The next step for me would be to make my way up to Savannah, Georgia and experience Paula Deen's cooking first hand her restaurant "The Lady and Sons". I suggested Savannah as our family vacation, but my parents agreed that a trip revolving just around a restaurant was a little silly. Oh well, someday I'll get there and maybe even be able to meet Paula herself!! 

Until next time,
kCa

6 comments:

  1. Those recipe cards are just the cutest!!! When I went to Italy I was there to the point of craving anything and everything American by the end of it, and my family and I found PD on a cooking channel (IN ENGLISH!) and proceeded to watch her every night because it was just what we needed- a little taste of the South in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first job I ever had took me far, far away from home. Whenever I was feeling homesick I would watch Paula Deen because her accent made me feel like I was right back in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love Paula!! She has the best southern recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Paula!
    Your blog is precious :) Newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loveeeee Paula! Some of my boyfriend's family actually befriended her on a cruise and she invited them to her house! They went and she had breakfast ready for them every morning, as well as lunch and dinner! I was sooo jealous... she's definitely the queen of southern hospitality.

    ReplyDelete