Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Luck and Matchbooks

I have always been a huge fan of fashion magazines of any kind. I have always found so much inspiration whist flipping through glossy page after glossy page. This obsession started in my youth when I needed to get away from immaturity that ran wild in middle school. Now, I read fashion magazines for pretty much the same reasons, only this time I need to escape the trashy outfits I see while walking around a college campus. 

While I love to read the editorials in Vogue and Harper's Bazaar, the fashion found in their pages seemed a little too out of reach for me (and the prices, WOW!), However, Lucky Magazine, to me, always seemed more realistic and practical. The first issue I ever picked up was in September 2004 when I was at the gym. Among a see of dull looking Times and Newsweek, the bright teal cover featuring Milla Jovovich seemed like an oasis in a desert of drab. I snatched up the magazine and instantly feel in love. 

Seven years later, I eagerly await the new issue every month, always curious to see how I will be inspired to add to a little zest to my extremely conservative and preppy wardrobe. The magazine is currently in it's tenth year of print. What an accomplishment! But, what makes this magazine different then all of the other fashions mags out there? Maybe it has something to do the way that it is written, sounding more like a friend giving fashion advice than anything. Maybe it's the fun monthly articles such as My Foolproof Outfit or Trend in the Making. Whatever the reason, I know that this magazine has a bright future, inspiring women of all ages for years to come. 

Another rising star in the magazine world is a newcomer using the internet as its medium. Matchbook Magazine almost seems to made specifically for the prep-set with its witty sense of humor and familiar fashion icons and designers. Although less than a year old, it has become a staple read for fashion-istas everywhere. I particular love their book reviews and monthly calendar of quirky events.  I desperately wish this magazine was available in print form so I could display them around my apartment, but I give them snaps for being earth friendly.

What are your magazine reads?

Until next time,
kCa

2 comments:

  1. I love matchbox it is beyond fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for introducing me to Matchbox Magazine! I'm already beyond obsessed, and the fact that Milly is on the cover of this month's issue is even better!

    Alex
    www.adoredbyalex.com

    ReplyDelete