Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Rooms (Both Yours and Mine)

School is about to start up again. So, future college students are probably dreaming of what their dorm rooms will look like. I know, I was one of them two years ago!! I had so many things running through my head that I got a little frustrated and definitely overwhelmed. For those of you who are feeling the same way, here are some things that you might want to get ready for. 

1) Great Bedding

Yes, this one is way too obvious, but once you have your color scheme picked out, the rest of the decorating seems to just fall into place. Most college dorms provide Twin XL mattresses that will work fine with a Twin comforter. I suggest getting a good quality comforter then picking out inexpensive Twin XL bed sheets from Target or Wal-Mart. Be sure to get multiple sets (maybe in different colors) for when you have laundry day.

I actually was going to order a set from Lilly Pulitzer- Garnet Hill for my apartment, but after the "pearl ring" incident, I just couldn't ask my parents for it. Besides, I still have a Tommy Hilfiger bedding set from last year.

2) Laundry Basket

Speaking of laundry day, you will definitely want to splurge on a high quality laundry basket. Not surprisingly, a big pile of clothes can get extremely heavy, so you might want to look for a basket with wheels attached. You'll thank me later.  I remember literally dragging my laundry basket from my fifth floor dorm room to the ground level laundry room. It seemed more like a marathon than a household chore. 

3) Of course... Decorations

I found the beige stone walls of my dorm room cold and impersonal the moment I stepped into my room. That's why I ordered posters and picture frames to fill up the empty spaces. Have a favorite actress or city? You can order posters from art.com or head to Target, they have a great selection that seems to be magically catered to the college-aged. I might suggest getting black and white posters when possible. That way you don't have to worry about them matching your color scheme and you can use them if/when you get new bedding. 

For your desk area, make sure you have a great collection of photos of your friends and families. Then go crazy with picture frames. You can make them as colorful or subdued as you want to. If you're extra creative, you can buy blank wooden frames from a crafting store and paint your own frames. 

Now to my own room. Currently it's a blank canvas with only a few pieces of furniture and absolutely no color. When I get back to school, I'll have to dedicate a few days to painting, decorating, and making this space my own. I'll post pictures when all is said and done!!

Until next time,
kCa

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to see how yours turns out! I loved decorating my dorm! I've lived in an apartment for the past two years now and it's also super fun to decorate!

    ReplyDelete